Winter Blues: Get Rid of Your Fly Infestation
Not many homeowners expect to have pests in their home during the winter, which is why so many people are surprised when they’re faced with an infestation even during the coldest months. Flies can be a nuisance at any time of the year, especially when they’re inside. While the common house fly is typically not seen during this time of year, cluster flies become problematic as autumn turns into winter. A fly infestation inside a house is worrisome for any homeowner, and it’s important to know why the cluster fly may just become a problem in your home this winter.
What Are Cluster Flies?
Cluster flies closely resemble house flies, but are slightly bigger and have a yellowish sheen. It’s important to learn about their life cycle in order to understand why they’re in your home during the winter.
- In late August as fall approaches, cluster flies begin to enter properties or structures in large groups.
- Once inside, they seek out cracks or crevices in the home for shelter while they are in diapause, a hibernation-like period during the winter.
- When winter comes to an end or in the case of warmer weather, the cluster fly returns to its normal metabolic state and awakens to look for food, often in your home. They fly very slowly at first and will likely be found around windows.
Getting Rid of a Fly Infestation
Flies aren’t only a nuisance. They can transmit diseases and contaminate food, endangering you and your family. Several methods of eliminating flies include sticky traps, ultraviolet traps, and insecticides, which may or may not be effective if the infestation is too big. While these techniques are available for any homeowner to use themselves, it’s also smart to call a professional pest control company who can handle the situation for you. An expert will know how to get rid of the cluster flies and keep them from coming back.
Preventing House Flies in Your Home
As with any pest, prevention is the best form of fly control. There are a number of methods you can try out to keep from having to ever deal with flies in your home during the winter:
- Make sure your windows and doors are sealed or have screens.
- Clean up food or liquid spills
- Keep trash securely contained
- Stay on top of tidying up pet food and waste
- Eliminate sources of standing water
Professional Fly Control Services
When flies are in your home during the winter and you can’t get rid of them yourself, it’s time to call a professional. The team at Antworks has the years of experience needed to effectively eliminate fly infestations in your home. Give us a call today to learn about our fly control services!