Causes of Wasp Infestation
Serving Vancouver WA | Portland OR | Beaverton OR
The reasons for a sudden influx in wasps in homes and businesses can vary. Wasp infestations can be mild or severe, but the one thing they have in common is what a nuisance they are for homeowners and business owners. Knowing the causes of wasp infestations can help you keep these stinging insects out of your space.
What Attracts Wasps?
Like most other pests, wasps are attracted to three main things: food, water, and shelter. For that reason, they often infest places where:
- There is uncovered food outdoors. Wasps form nests in places where they know they’ll be hidden and have a nearby food source. If there is an outdoor space where food is eaten, there is a likelihood that wasps will be around. By making sure that no food is left behind, they are able to keep the pests from sticking around.
- The trash can lid is open. Again, this is a place where food remnants remain. If wasps can enter the trash receptacle, they’re going to nest there. They won’t have to go far to find the food they need to survive.
- There is pet food stored in an open area. Any type of food source including pet food attracts wasps. Keep dog and cat food in a sealed container that is airtight. Make sure to put the lid back on the bin every time it’s opened to keep wasp infestations away.
- Someone wears sweet smelling perfume or lotion. Wasps love sweet smelling fragrances. They think of them as flowers. If a person or business routinely uses or sells these products, it’s important to make sure that doors and windows stay shut so that a wasp infestation doesn’t occur.
- There is broken siding or panels. As with any other type of structural damage, entryways are discovered by the pests who then find corners of porches, patios, and rooms to lay their eggs. Remove wasp nests carefully the moment that they are discovered.
Eliminate Those Wasps Today!
Leave your information and we will call you back in the next 30 minutes.
How to Tell if Wasps Are in Your Walls
If wasps build their nests out in the open, it’s usually pretty easy to identify an infestation. However, it gets much trickier if the stinging insects choose hidden places on your property, such as inside of your walls. Here are some of the biggest signs that you have a wasp problem:
- Frequent wasp sightings
- Wood damage around your walls or siding
- Swarming insects near your property
- Signs of a nest
What to Do If You Have Wasps
Wasps are the type of pest no one wants to have in their home or place of business. Not only are they a nuisance, but they also have powerful stingers that can cause injuries. Protecting your guests and family by preventing wasps is among the top priorities homeowners and business owners have.
If you discover wasps on your property, call a professional as soon as possible. For your safety, we never recommend approaching a nest or swarm on your own. Even a small wasp nest puts you at risk of being stung and injured. An expert will have the tools and experience needed to eliminate these pests quickly and safely.
When you need reliable wasp control services, contact Antworks Pest Control! Our technicians implement Integrated Pest Management techniques to get rid of your wasp infestation while preventing the pests from returning in the future. To learn more or get your quote, give us a call today!