How to Get Rid of Rats in the Walls
Most homeowners can agree that a rodent infestation is the last thing they want inside their homes. And if rats do get inside, you definitely don’t want them in your walls! Unfortunately, rats can easily make their way into the walls of your home if they’ve already set up shop in your attic or elsewhere. Understanding how the rats got into your home and eventually in your walls is the key to learning how to keep them away for good.
Are Those Rats Scratching in my Walls?
When you’re suspicious that there may be rats inside your home, it’s important to know the telltale signs that indicate their presence. Some things to look out or listen for include:
- Scurrying or scampering inside the walls
- Scratching or gnawing noises inside the walls
- Droppings behind a stove, on the ground, or in the basement or attic
- Rub marks on the walls, which may simply look like dark or greasy spots
- Nests made out of paper or other materials
- Insulation that has been ripped up or damaged inside the walls
- And of course, seeing a dead rat anywhere inside your home
Rat Control for Inside the Home
Once you’ve determined you have rats in your walls, you probably want to get them out as soon as possible. Rats are dirty, destructive, and can carry diseases that may be harmful to your family. While there are a few things you can do to get rid of rats yourself, it’s often best to get professional help. Baits and traps are two of the main methods for capturing any rats inside the home:
- Rat traps can be placed in attics, basements, or near holes in the wall. If effective, traps will catch the rat and hold it in place. They include glue traps, mechanical traps, and more.
- Bait can also be placed in areas where you suspect the rats are frequenting. If it works, the rat will consume the bait and die within a couple of days.
Preventing Rat Infestations
The best way to keep rats out of your walls is to prevent them from getting in there in the first place. Just like any pest, rats come inside when they are searching for food, water, or shelter. Limiting the opportunities for them to succeed in their search is the most effective way of keeping them away from your home. It’s important to regularly check the perimeter of your property to seal any holes or cracks they can squeeze into. In addition, it’s helpful to trim trees or shrubs to remain a distance away from your home and to keep a tidy yard to eliminate possible shelters. Always seal your food, and keep your trash cans secure!
Professional Rat Control Services
If you’ve done all you can to prevent rats and they’re still inside your home, it’s best to call Antworks. We know how stressful a rodent infestation can be, and have tried-and-true methods to get rid of them safely and effectively in a way that will keep you and your family safe. Don’t worry about setting up traps or bait yourself and give us a call today to take care of your rat control needs!