How Extreme Heat Affects Insects
With summer in full swing and hot weather on the way, many of us are cranking up the AC and trying to stay cool. However, humans aren’t the only ones feeling the heat! Warm weather can also significantly influence insect behavior, especially since they are cold-blooded creatures that rely on their environment to increase their body temperature.
Understanding how extreme heat affects insects can help you better predict their behavior and protect your home from infestations. Here are a few ways that warm weather impacts insects:
- Populations grow: Many insects, such as mosquitoes and yellowjackets, are more active when the weather is warm. High temperatures can even cause some species to mature and reproduce faster, which is why insect populations grow so fast in the summertime.
- Become more active: Since insects are cold-blooded, they thrive in warmer environments that increase their body temperature. Heat also boosts their metabolic rate, so they need to eat more to survive. Both of these factors cause insects to become more active when the weather is warm.
- Indoor infestations increase: Especially if the weather is dry, many insects will seek food and water indoors during the summer. That’s why it’s important for homeowners to take preventative measures to avoid infestations when it’s warm out.
- Cause more damage to gardens: Gardens have everything a pest could need in the summer – moisture, food, and shelter. Particularly if you grow fruits or vegetables, your yard could become an oasis for insects, and you may notice more damage during the warmer months.
- May become aggressive: Between increased activity and an increased need for food, some insects may become more aggressive as temperatures get hotter. It’s especially important to be aware of stinging insects that may be hungry or territorial.
Tips for Avoiding an Insect Infestation This Summer
As temperatures rise, it becomes increasingly difficult to prevent insect infestations. Thankfully, there are a few things homeowners can do to protect their space from an invasion. To avoid an insect infestation this summer, follow these prevention tips:
- Fix broken door or window screens
- Regularly sweep or vacuum the floor
- Clean spilled food or drinks quickly
- Keep your drains clear and clean
- Store food in airtight containers
- Dispose of trash in lidded bins
- Avoid bringing outdoor plants inside
If you’re dealing with an insect infestation, the experts at Antworks Pest Control are here to help! With years of experience serving the Vancouver WA and Portland OR areas, we are confident that we can provide effective solutions that will keep your home insect-free for good. From prevention and protection to effective treatments, we have you covered! Just give us a call to get your free estimate.